Health and Fitness Tips
Physical activity, sleep, and proper nutrition are fundamental elements in overall good health. G.I.T. FIT Programs offers an array of classes that promote healthy lifestyles through education, increased physical activity, stress reduction, and just having fun! Below are some healthy tips to help increase daily activity levels and nutrition.
Benefits of Regular Physical Activity:
- Reduces the risk of dying from coronary heart disease and of developing high blood pressure, colon cancer, and diabetes.
- Can help reduce blood pressure in some people with hypertension.
- Helps maintain healthy bones, muscles, and joints.
- Reduces symptoms of anxiety and depression and fosters improvements in mood and feelings of well-being.
- Helps control weight, develop lean muscle, and reduce body fat.
Make Life Less Modern:
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Walk to do your errands instead of driving.
- Park as far away from the building as possible, instead of wasting time driving around to find a close spot.
- Wash your car by hand instead of taking it to a car wash.
- Drink. Drink. Drink. It is important to aim for 64 oz. of water each day to keep the body well hydrated.
- Eat more fiber. Fiber helps the body stay healthy and may prevent heart disease and some forms of cancer.
- Eat a variety of foods with different colors. Research increasingly shows that foods with color and flavor possess more phytochemicals- plant compounds that aid in disease prevention and health maintenance.