A 2009 study by the Journal of Exercise Physiology says a “supportive social atmosphere” of college exercise programs is likely a key factor in improving physical and mental health habits in college that carry over to midlife. By harmonizing our five dimensions of well-being (professional, social, physical, emotional, and spiritual), our community can flourish and be fulfilled where we live, learn, work, and play. The purpose of the U+1=Well-Being initiative is to provide this “supportive social atmosphere” to the Georgia Tech campus community, with the intention of improving all five dimensions of well-being through deliberate social interactions. It is our hope that every person within the Georgia Tech Community feels both connected to and supported by one another, creating a community of caring that encourages all of us to be Smart & Happy. Won’t you join us - and invite a friend to come along for the journey?
How Can I Get Started?
The CRC is kicking off this initiative with a social media challenge where you (and your +1) are rewarded with a sweet t-shirt. Keep reading to find out how you can own one of these coveted shirts and even have your social media post featured on the CRC website, Twitter, Instagram, and/or Facebook page!
Getting started is easy! Follow these steps for a fun, engaging experience on Georgia Tech’s campus – and don’t forget to pick up your t-shirt!
1. Choose an event from the list below OR participate in one of the following activates (see chart below).
2. Bring a friend (your +1) with you to the event.
3. Snap a photo of you and your friend participating in the event or activity.
4. Post your photo on Instagram along with the following tags:
a. Use #uplusone somewhere in your post
b. Tag the Office of Health & Well-Being, @gthealthwellbeing
5. Show your post to the Member Services staff at the CRC for your free t-shirt for you and your +1 (limit 1 per person, please)
7. Looking for more of a challenge? Complete 5+ events or activities using the criteria outlined in steps one through six AND use the hashtags listed for each event to receive a special prize. Participants that complete five or more events will also be featured on our U+1 Wall of Fame.