*** UPDATE ON HOURS AND SERVICES FOR MAY 1 THROUGH MAY 15, 2023. ***
- The Wilderness Outpost will be open during finals week for returns and general questions.
- We will NOT be renting gear during finals week and the week before summer classes. We will resume rentals on Monday, May 15th.
- Later this month, we will introduce a new summer-only "mini-trip" experience. These will consist of half-day hikes within an hour or so of campus. Registration for these trips will be online only and open on May 15th.
This summer, the Wilderness Outpost will be open from 2-5 p.m., Monday through Thursday. We will resume normal hours on the opening day of fall classes. (2-7 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 2-5 p.m. Friday.)
Want to Plan Your Own "Do It Yourself" Adventure?
Outdoor Recreation's Wilderness Outpost is here to help. To encourage Georgia Tech to get outside and enjoy the healthy powers of nature, we offer:
- affordable camping gear
- convenient boating, backpacking and camping gear
- guidance for outdoor skills such as setting up a campsite, cooking great camp stove meals, and prepping for your first backpacking trip.
Looking for a place to go hiking or camping? Outpost staff are also happy to serve as your adventure consultants. If you need suggestions or have questions, don't hesitate to ask.
How to Reserve Rental Gear
Gear reservations are made online; please fill out the form linked below to reserve your items. If you have questions, call 404-894-7420 during our open hours. (2-7 p.m. Monday-Thursday; 2-5 p.m. Friday) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
To ensure we can respond back to you about the availability of the gear you request, please submit your online request at least 48-hours in advance of pick-up. You are welcome to pre-order gear up to 10 days in advance of pick-up. If you have last minute plans, call us, and we'll try to help.
Current Georgia Tech students, faculty & staff are eligible to rent gear. Please keep in mind that published rates are student rates. Faculty and staff rates--which are not subsidized by student fees-- are twice these published rates. You do not need any prior experience or affiliation with Outdoor Recreation Georgia Tech to rent gear. All gear rental must be in line with our gear rental agreement.
Wilderness Outpost is located downstairs in the Campus Recreation Center. To find us, either enter through the front doors of the CRC and follow signs to ORGT or enter through the Tech Parkway side next to the lowest level of the parking deck. Look for the "Outdoor Recreation Georgia Tech" sign above the stairwell entrance.
We have initiated an online ordering reservation system. When you order equipment, you will be asked to estimate a time for picking-up and returning your gear. Shortly after ordering, you will receive an e-mail confirming your order, the cost of the rental, and instructions for how to pay through the CRC's payment portal. Please pay within 48-hours of receiving your confirmation. We will then have your order waiting for you when you arrive at the Outdoor Recreation offices located behind the CRC. We cannot guarantee any order that is not paid prior to the day of pick up.
If you order gear and decide not to proceed with the rental, please notify us at your earliest convenience so we can free the equipment for other renters. Cancel orders by emailing email@example.com.
Gear Pick-Up and Return
- Gear is picked up and returned at ORGT's Wilderness Outpost.
- Saturday and Sunday pick-ups and returns are not available.
- Gear can be picked up Thursday, 2-7 p.m. or Friday, 2-5 p.m.
- Gear can be returned on the Monday or Tuesday from 2-7 p.m. following your rental.
- Other pick up times and returns can be arranged (except on weekends). Contact us directly to arrange this.
Available Rental Equipment
We rent a full line of quality equipment. For the full list of available items, see our Reservation Request Form.
We do not rent:
- First aid kits, ropes, technical climbing gear, caving equipment, dry suits, Stand up paddleboards, break-down paddles, trailers, whitewater rafts, kayaks, or bikes.
Backpacking & Camping Packages
2-person Outpost Camping Package - $40
- One 4-person tent or two 1-person tents (limited supply); 2 sleeping bags; 2 pads; 2 chairs
4-person Outpost Camping Package - $75
- Two 2-person tents; 4 sleeping bags; 4 pads; 4 chairs
Backpacking Package for 2 - $70
- 2 backpacks; 2 sets of hiking poles; tent--double or 2 singles; 2 sleeping bags; 2 pads; backpacking stove, fuel & pot
Boats require a $300.00 credit card hold. If you rent a boat, bring straps to attach it to your vehicle. We do not provide these. Individual paddling items are available and listed on our gear request form.
Sea Kayak Package - $40
- Sea kayak, spray skirt, paddle and PFD
Flatwater Canoe Package - $30
- Canoe, up to 3 PFD’s, 3 paddles, small dry bag
Recreation Kayak Package - $20
- Recreational kayak, paddle, PFD
Camping-Related, Individual Items & Extras
Backpacks - $10: Various sizes
Camp Chair - $4: Low to the ground; great around a campfire
Cook pot and/or Fry Pan
- Stainless steel pots and fry pans cannot be used over a campfire; $5.
- Ladle, spatula, large spoon, etc.; $5.
Cooler (Ice Chest) - $5: Large size
Pop-Up Pavilion - $25: Limited supply
Sleeping Bags & Sleeping Pads
- 40-degree, 30-degree, 20-degree or 0-degree bags; $12.
- Full length, closed-cell foam pad; $3.
- Coleman 2-burner camp stove with fuel; $10.
- “Pocket Rocket” backpacking stove with fuel; $10.
- 2-person; $12.
- Single person, $15
- 4-person; $15.
Trekking Poles - $7: Rented in pairs
Water Cooler - $5: 5-gallon
Climbing Shoes- $6
Crash Pad- $15
Climbing Helmet- $6
ORGT Staff Equipment Requests
- Active MOU-holding ORGT volunteers have limited access to specialty items depending on their level of training. Why? To promote experience building and skill development.
- To access specialty gear, ORGTeers must be "Active". Don't know if you're still active? Email David Knobbe.
- For General Camping Gear: Follow the procedures outlined above. Make requests through the outpost.
- For Sport-specific Specialty Gear: Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Set an appointment to pick up gear on Thursday or/and Friday. There is no pick-up available Saturday or Sunday.
Your Specialty Gear Request
- Provide 48-hours notice.
- You can only request gear from your own sport.
- In the body of your e-mailed request, identify your role with ORGT and describe each item you are requesting. Include size and quantity needed. Photographs make it easier for Outpost staff to Identify get ready exactly what you are requesting.
- DETAILS help Outpost staff fill your order.
- At no time during process can the renter enter the ORGT cage area.
Limits on Allowable Quantities
- Every sport limits who can access specialty items and what quantity is allowable for each training level – IIT, instructor, or trip leader.
- If your request exceeds what might be considered a prudent and reasonable amount of equipment for one person to check out, the Wilderness Outpost staff will forward your request to the Assistant Director.