- Classes are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note that classes fill quickly.
- All trips include a pre-trip class.
- Pre-trip sessions are required in order to attend the weekend adventure.
- Gear, instruction, and transportation is provided.
- Class sizes are limited to insure quality instruction.
- Dates are subject to change.
- Prices average $25-65 depending on the trip.
Backpacking is about experiencing nature and challenging yourself physically. With a wide variety of trips, anyone from a beginner to advanced backpacker can have a great hike and learn new skills. Even if you have never stepped foot in the woods, our progression will provide the basic skills and knowledge required to backpack in the wilderness.
Experience the beauty and awe of natural settings most people will never see. Gear, transportation, and instruction are included. Georgia Tech students, faculty, staff and alumni are welcome.
- Trip A: September 16 - 17 (8 p.m. class)
- Trip B: September 30 - October 1 (8 p.m. class)
- Trip C: October 14 - 15 (8 p.m. class)
- Trip D: November 4 - 5 (8 p.m. class)
Advanced Backpacking Overnight
- Trip A: October 21 - 22 (8 p.m. class)
- Trip A: September 17 (8 p.m. class)
- Trip B: October 1 (8 p.m. class)
- Trip C: October 28 (8 p.m. class)
- Trip D: November 11 (8 p.m. class)
- Trip A: November 18 - 19 (8 p.m. class)
- Trip A: September 9 - 10 (8 p.m. class)
Explore rarely seen fascinating underground environments. Beginners explore the dark, wet, and muddy regions of horizontal caves where fantastic formations hang from ceilings and life – most of it unseen -- abounds. Advanced instruction involves rappelling and climbing techniques adapted for the cave environment.
Horizontal trips feature a day of scrambling, squeezing, crawling, and walking underground. They provide an exciting intro to caving. See beautiful underground formations in the Tennessee-Alabama-Georgia region (TAG). Prepare to get muddy and have lots of fun!
Vertical trips build on skills mastered during horizontal trips. This time, reach even more exciting reaches of the caves by repelling into them. This is a true adventure, and fun, too. Learn the basics of repelling and ascending with specialized gear. Explore some of the more exciting places the TAG region has to offer.
Horizontal Caving Trips:
- Trip A: August 26 (7 p.m. class)
- Trip B: September 16 (7 p.m. class)
- Trip C: September 30 (7 p.m. class)
Vertical Caving Trips:
Intermediate Caving: Vertical Techniques
- Trip A: October 14 (7 p.m. class)
- Trip B: October 28 (7 p.m. class)
Cascading involves traveling through narrow canyons, up and down the sides of mountains, and rappelling through remote waterfalls. It involves a good deal of technical ropework and gear like helmets, harnesses, wetsuits, and ropes. This is a true adventure. Gear, transportation, and instruction are included.
Fundamentals of Cascading:
- Trip A: September 10 (7:30 p.m. class)
- Trip B: September 24 (7:30 p.m. class)
- Trip C: October 14 (7:30 p.m. class)
Intermediate Cascading Skills:
- Trip A: October 1 (7:30 p.m. class)
- Trip B: October 28 (7:30 p.m. class)
Advanced Overnight Cascading:
- Trip A: November 4 - 5 (7:30 p.m. class)